Tuesday 16 May 2006

Retreat


(this beautiful photo was taken by my brother Paul in his garden)

Today I go off for 24 hours retreat and reflection. Never quite sure what to expect on these occasions, but the timing of this one is excellent. I'm looking forward to just 'zoning out' and 'tuning in'. Zoning out from all the busyness that swamps the normal day, all the 'phone calls, the weekly deadlines, the unexpected pastoral situations, the ongoing pastoral situations, the different issues that drain my energies. Tuning in to God, His voice, which all too easily gets drowned out by the other 'traffic.'



There will be a few others (16 or fewer) on retreat with me so I'm looking forward to some quality times of worship and sharing as well as some solitude with Bible, books and MP3 player. I've been really impacted recently by the teaching of Rob Bell of Mars Hill church in Michigan. His book 'Velvet Elvis' ought to be compulsory reading for 21st century Christians. I've also got a CD of a message at Spring Harvest by Gerard Kelly to listen to, that a friend sent me.


24 hours? Maybe I need a little longer...

Unfortunately, life can only be put on hold for 24 hours. But when I get back, it's going to be go, go, go. I have a busy programme at church this Sunday with a baptismal service for three of our young people. Exciting times. 21 of them crammed into our small front room last night for their weekly nurture group, 'Deeper.' They're a great bunch of kids (12-17 yrs) and have grown so much this last year in particular. Several baptisms, loads of commitment and love between the group, 3 of them going off on summer mission, 1 going to Camp America. Watch out church, the next generation of leaders is on the way...


Shalom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even though Im 24hours late! I will pray that God takes hold of whatever seeds He planted in your heart yesterday and lets them take root and grow.
You are doing sterling work with the young people and you are an inspiration to your christian friends.
I will also be praying for you all on sunday at the baptismal service and especially for Laura, Sam and Tracy as they get baptised.
How on earth you find time to even write this blog amazes me!!
God bless,
Helen R