Tuesday 19 May 2009

The week starts here...

Well, I'm a day behind already!

I want to nick this idea from uberblogger Mark Oestreicher of Youth Specialties and focus in each week on what's gone, what is, and what is to come, by using some fairly obvious observations. As much as letting people glimpse my usually impenetrable mind, it will also help me home in on what's important and what areas of my life are just joyously frivolous.


THE WEEKEND THAT WAS:

Friday night was all about The Loft, the youth club for 11-16s. Had to deal with an irate neighbour whose Friday evening peace had been rudely interrupted by some of our more energetic boys who'd kicked their football over the fence into the garden. Needless to say they took the direct route to recover the ball (over the fence) and prompted some neighbourly discord. My mediation and conciliatory skills were called upon. Saturday morning I spent on a pastoral visit to a lovely family and then in the evening we enjoyed/endured the spectacle that is the Eurovision Song Contest. I picked Malta, Iceland and the eventual winners Norway as the top 3, so 2/3 isn't too bad. Sunday was a busy day for this boy. Teaching the teens about Prayer in the morning then preaching in church at night on Romans 12:16-21 'Living in harmony with one another'. Then a final meeting of the day to plan a fundraiser in June for a missions trip we're doing to Romania in August. Day of rest, gimme a break!


WHERE I AM AT THE MOMENT:

in the office


ON MY TO-DO LIST THIS WEEK:

I'm working through the results of my most recent appraisal with my trustees looking at future plans for developing youth and families ministry. Want to have it done by the end of the month. Ambitious. Last night we had a very positive youth team meeting which is always a real encouragement. Tonight I have a cluster group meeting with 6 or 7 ministry leaders that I give oversight to. Tomorrow (Wednesday) we have a youth small group that meets in our home. Thursday I have the day off then I have an early start (4am!) on Friday to run some colleagues to the airport who are heading off to Hungary for a church leaders conference. Friday will be the last youth club till after half-term. Saturday is as yet unspoken for and Sunday I have two teaching slots; one on The Persistent Widow from Luke 8 and one on A Servant's Heart from Philippians 2. Oh and I'm leading the morning service worship.

PROCRASTINATING ABOUT:

forms and insurance for summer trips


BOOK(S) I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF:

Enjoying Mike Yaconelli's 'Getting Fired for the Glory of God' and am about to begin 'The Lovely Bones'. Also, having quoted the children's book 'I'll Fix Anthony' by Judith Viorst last weekend, I am inspired to get a copy!


MUSIC PLAYING AS I TYPE THIS:

Right now I'm listening to an old Stoneleigh Bible Week album on Spotify. The song currently playing is 'Jesus, Lover of My Soul'


NEXT TRIP:

Looking forward to a half-day retreat in a couple of weeks with 4 other pastors. We go to a really beautiful place in the middle of nowhere called Shepherd's Dene and it gives us all the space we want as well as a lovely lunch. Most important!


HOW I'M FEELING ABOUT THE WEEK:

Very positive. My stepdaughter Laura is in the middle of her GCSE exams and is keeping calm and doing her best. I'm very proud of the work she's done in preparation and have given her and her mum a gift of a two day trip to Dublin when the exams are all over. She deserves to succeed.

No comments: