Monday 19 June 2006

The dangers of mixing up your potatoes and your turnips...

So today I achieved a first. You can't say that every day, unless you're a few months old. I'm 38 and today achieved a first. Actually today I achieved two firsts.

By way of celebrating the fact that my nephew is about to get married next month we went over to a place near Dundee to do clay pigeon shooting and blind 4x4 driving.

The clay pigeon shooting I took to like a duck to water, if you'll hang in there with me on the bird analogy. Of 18 traps released I 'killed' 10, which may not win me a place on the next Commonwealth Games team, but I was chuffed nonetheless.

The driving was not only a new experience but a new concept. I'd never heard of such a thing. The basic premise is this; the driver is blindfolded while a passenger in the all-terrain vehicle calls instructions to safely navigate round a spectacularly uneven piece of land. When it was my turn to navigate I felt quite unsafe, but strangely when I had the blindfold on, and had to listen attentively to the instruction, I felt extremely safe. I'm sure that little point will be appearing in a sermon round here fairly soon in some shape or form.

Anyway, after a couple of circuits of 'left a bit, right a bit, left a bit more...' etc, the instructor said he would make it more interesting by changing the instruction to potatoes or turnips. It was amazing just how much chaos this simple rule change caused. As navigator, no matter how much I tried I could not remember whether left was turnips or potatoes. The more I got it wrong, of course, the more erratic the journey in the hands of my other nephew got. Which was all part of the fun!

Recommended.

No comments: