Friday 2 June 2006

Floating on fresh water


















I heard a good story this week and I want to remember it so I thought I'd record it here for posterity.


A guy had been sailing and had an accident with his boat and was left clinging onto his upturned vessel, miles from land, for several days. His endurance against the elements was good to begin with but the hardest thing was thirst, especially with all the water around.

After several days, a rescue team found him and he was severely dehydrated. When he recovered he was horrified to discover that the area he had been floating in was actually fresh water and he could have been drinking it all the time.

The spiritual application of this story was for overtired Christians who are feeling spiritually dehydrated, drained from years of service and possibly from being caught in the crossfire once too often.

In this week of Pentecost, it's helpful to be reminded that for the last two thousand years, the church has been floating on fresh water, a ready resource of strengthening, invigorating, refreshing Holy Spirit water. Too often we strain to hear the latest buzzwords, the latest trends, or the conferences that will hit the spot. The best resource is right under our boat all the time.

Happy sailing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi again,
What a helpful and challenging analogy. Thank you.
I feel very much like that over-tired dehydrated christian you described!
For a while now I feel God keeps on reminding me to "let go- and let God" if you'll excuse the bit cringy expression!
I can so easily feel "burdened" by the amount of "work" there seems to be or potential "stuff" I could so easily get involved in.
Gods been talking to me about "balance" and getting it right in terms of home/church/work etc.
This analogy has very much underlined all that by reminding me that all the time Ive got an ocean full of God's refreshing blessings and resources at hand, exactly what I "need".
I just need to remember to dip my hand in and "scoop" it out! and then drink it!
Thank you again.
John 4 v 13-14.
God bless,
Helen R.