Sunday 23 August 2009

Romania journal #6



Day 6 - another warm day here in Padureni.

Usual programme; met with local believers in the morning before some children's ministry. I took time out to write Pastor Marian a letter to encourage him and Emma translated it for me. I also prepared for my session meeting the team for reflections this afternoon.

Lunch was peppers filled with a mince filling to which Tom enquired, 'is that what's inside peppers?' memo to self: speak to Tom + Gail when I get back.

The afternoon was taken with all the meetings which I hope people found helpful. All of the team have reasons to be proud of themselves this week and I hope they go back with a greater sense of imagination about where their life could lead them, if they stay close to God.

Football at 6 with a few guys from the village. I spoke at half-time about Kaka and his 'I belong to Jesus' t-shirt. As I spoke, someone led their cow across the pitch; make up your own joke here.

After a dinner of mash and pepperami sausages we went to a local Christian's home for a fellowship evening of singing, accordions and prayers. And doughnuts. Lots of doughnuts. Eh Tom?

This was the highlight of the trip so far for me personally. Cristi, a 16 yr old boy gave his testimony. His parents are not believers but his mum Nuti has been cooking for us this week. He spoke boldly and clearly and declared his faith in Jesus now and forever. Tom and him have become firm friends even though neither speaks the other's language. They have been comical to watch but very endearing at the same time. Cristi asked for prayer for an illness he has. Tom responded and laid hands on him while he prayed. His prayer was so natural and the prayer of a friend. I had a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes were ready to fall. So proud of these young people.

Then Terri prayed for Ramona (pictured above, right); who knows what lies ahead for this beautiful young Roma woman? If she stays in Padureni the likelihood is that she will become a 'baby machine' and her life will follow the pattern of every other woman here, a life of subjugation to her husband. But maybe she has an opportunity to get away from here to study. Gwynneth and I wondering if there is anything we at Bethany can do long term to support her education. One to ponder and pray about...

This was probably the largest gathering we've attended this week, and also the most special. I was able to bring a short word from Kings 6 on losing your cutting edge. They played 'amazing grace' and let us sing some English words, followed by 'What a friend we have in Jesus', which I mucked up the words on... Oh well.

Other comments:

1. Charlotte scored 2 more goals though she also missed 2 penalties and an absolute sitter from just half a yard. Major improvement for the Toon.

2. Pastor Marian received my letter and related the news to the church.

3. Charlotte attracted her usual adoring public with man-to-man marking being taken very seriously. Her behaviour, it has to be said, was exemplary. Keep going Charly you're nearly there. Proud of u.

4. They were asked to create a memory of their time here using nowt but a blob of plasticine. Gwynneth did a love heart, Rachel a treble clef, Tom did an outside toilet and a clock to remind of Romanian time schedules. I didn't quite get Charlotte's and it became one of those awkward occasions when I was politely nodding but inside was wondering 'what the heck is that?' maybe someone will explain to silly thick me. Terri, being the plasticine Queen made a masterpiece of very intricate, fiddly figures that this chubby-fingered boy couldn't dream of making.

5. Well campers, it's an earlier start tomorrow as the bikers have got a distance of 20km to cover to the next village where we will run another programme. I also need to get to an atm to arrange gifts for the team. - that's the Romanians in case your wondering?

6. I've had to visit the wee room twice today. Technique, I have discovered, is everything. The most important part of the ritual is to never, that's NEVER draw breath through your nostrils. Oh, and when you do get into the most vulnerable and undignified of all positions, the last thing you need is a surprise visit from a family of wasps out looking for a fast food outlet. Isn't that right Tom?

No comments: