Monday 24 August 2009

Romania journal #7



Day 7 - earlier start than normal as the cyclists - Tom, Rachel and Charlotte- were leaving for another village at 8:30. The others went in the support vehicles and it took 90 minutes to get there. Once there we shared the gospel in several gardens belonging to local people. Gwynneth, Gordon and Charlotte shared and then there was a prolonged discussion between the non-Christians present and the Romanian members of the team. We didn't understand a word of course so all we could do was pray.

This aspect of the trip can involve a lot of sitting around, and feeling useless and ineffective, but I reminded the team, and myself, that we are not here for our benefit. The return journey for lunch took slightly less time and people had worked up an appetite. 94 degrees makes you appreciate water particularly. A bit of down time this afternoon before heading back to the same place later, this time by cars.

When we got there we headed to the school and along with about 20 locals armed with scithes and other assorted implements (not the grim reaper after all, above), we started clearing the school pitch of weeds, bottles and rubbish. I must confess to having been as much use as a chocolate teapot, as for the first time this week, I felt decidedly unwell, with a banging headache. Charlotte and I sat in the shade and I caught up with how she was feeling about things.

When the clearing was done, several games of football ensued. Halfway through the evening, Gwynneth, Ramona and Charlotte performed 'The Sticky Chair Sketch', an OM favourite apparently, and I gave a gospel message on the traps of money, drugs and sex and how Jesus is the only one who can free us. On the spur of the moment I felt led to issue a direct challenge/appeal and maybe as many as 15 young men and women raised their hands in response. A number of John's gospels were distributed and it is to be hoped that Brother Marian, a different one in that village, will be able to develop some of these contacts.

It has been a trying day, one way and another, and as I write this, I feel quite drained. I suppose the responsibility of what I do for a living jumps up and bites me now and again. When did I grow up enough to be responsible for taking 5 others, 4 of them young people, into a strange place in Eastern Europe? Then to be given the privilege of sharing the gospel with complete strangers, without having earned the right by developing a relationship with them? That feels weird.

One or two sticky issues in the team today. But nothing I've not had to deal with a million and one times before. I can hear Alistair over my shoulder...'Maturing, Contributing, Adding'. True at Bethany, just as true in Romania.

Observations on today:

1. Bizarre. That's the only way to describe sitting at a level crossing, talking with the farmer with his horse and cart while you wait, whilst a nearby house blasts out Bill Haley + The Comets, 'Rock Around the Clock'. Only in Romania.

2. Music. On the radio here, the music is western circa 1985. I have heard Foreigner, Annie Lennox, Cyndi Lauper to name few. Savage Garden (!) was really the most up to date I've heard, apart from when I went to the supermarket in Bucharest when I was tickled to hear Coldplay when we went in.

3. Shoes. I will not miss the front step where we routinely discard our shoes on re-entry to the house. It's a pain.

4. Words I associate with this week. Da. Multumesc. Cupplacherri. Accordions. Fanta. Bites. Dust-covered trees. Padureni. Dorel. Cristi. Nuzzi. Rafael. Silvu. Emma. Monica. Ramona. Pastor Marian. Flies. 15 minutes.

5. Journals. I have enjoyed keeping this diary of the week. It's been quite cathartic for me and occasionally poignant and entertaining for the team as I've shared it each day. I hope they have found it useful as they have kept theirs. No doubt they will stand as good memory-keepers for the week. I hope to add pictures to mine and be a bit more creative than I usually am. It will probably get swamped by much more 'important' things when I get home. But I also hope that the young people, in particular, use theirs as a springboard for further reflection on their future response to God's call on their lives. By the way, guys,if you're reading this, or hearing it, I'd love it if sometime you feel able to let me hear some of your journal entries. Only if and when you feel able.

6. Gifts. I was finally able to get to a bank today although withdrawing the money was a bit tricky. I gave gifts to Claire, Silviu + Emma, and Rafael. It was quite emotional with Silviu and Emma, and I was reminded again how it is definitely more of a blessing to give than to receive, as I saw how touched and grateful they were. Rafael asked if it was ok to put his gift towards a new car. Of course.

7. Sorry. Just a word for my brilliant team here. I just want to say I am grateful to you all for making the trip. If there are times during the week I have not been there for you, I am sorry. I have tried my best to watch out for your best interests as an individual, and for the group as a whole. I hope you can recognise that my motivation for organising this trip has been to broaden your understanding of God/His world, and your part in it. If that has happened, even in a tiny way, then I am satisfied. God bless you all.

1 comment:

Hen riley said...

Ah Amen to that! Sounds like God has been at work and lives have certainly been changed. I will make sure Padureni and its people are regulars on my prayer list.
Helen x