Monday 8 June 2009

And so begins another week...


THE WEEKEND THAT WAS:

Alli attended a CWR event at Bethany on Saturday entitled 'How to be a secure woman' and thoroughly enjoyed it. This meant I was on 'Childwatch' most of the day.

On Sunday we had a good time with the youth in the morning considering Elisha and the floating axe-head from 2 Kings 6. It's been one of my favourite stories ever since I heard Willie Wright preaching on it under the title 'Losing Your Cutting Edge' at Dumfries Baptist Church several years ago. A fascinating chapter about trust and God's protection.

At night we continued in our 'Developing Your Shape to Serve Others' series and I was teaching on how God uses our unique personalities for His purposes. He doesn't necessarily want to change our personalities when we are converted; rather He wants to use our unique personalities to their utmost for His sake. After all, He gave us our personalities. We looked at Saul/Paul before and after Damascus Road, as well as Mary and her outpouring of perfume. God takes us and uses us in many ways for the sake of the gospel.

ON MY TO-DO LIST THIS WEEK:

Do some final thinking around my appraisal response before it is sent back to the trustees next week.

Prepare two teaching sessions for Sunday


PROCRASTINATING ABOUT:

Nothing I am aware of


BOOK(S) I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF:

Really enjoyed the little book 'Worldliness', edited by CJ Mahaney this week. The subtitle 'Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World' points to a message within the book as relevant to the wider church as to the youth ministry department. I found it a personal challenge and I am sure it will become one of those little helpful books I return to time after time. Recommended.


TV HIGHLIGHT OF THE WEEK:

Well, after the disappointment of the previous week's 'Britain's Got Talent' finale, this week was rescued by the semi-final and final of The Apprentice. The two finalists, Kate and Yasmina would both have been worthy winners but in the end Suralan gave the job to restaurateur Yasmina.


WHAT SONG IS THE IPOD SHUFFLE PLAYING AS I TYPE THIS:

Hungry (Falling On My Knees) by Kathryn Scott


NEXT TRIP:

Tomorrow I'm off to Edinburgh for a Willow Creek day conference with James Emery White. I'll be attending a seminar called 'Reaching Kids, Reaching Families.' I'm looking forward to the train journey to be able to read, relax and think.


HOW I'M FEELING ABOUT THE WEEK:

Fairly chilled so far. I feel like I got quite productive last week and was able to put some things to bed and can now begin thinking strategy thoughts for the remainder of 2009 in the youth ministry teaching sphere, as well as starting to dream up some longer-term thoughts and ideas. This is always the area I find a bit sticky and muddly, but is necessary before I can cast vision to the team and the church.



No comments: