Monday 29 June 2009

Casualty, Glastonbury and Lost Nokias

THE WEEKEND THAT WAS:

Friday night's youth club ended with me taking one of our leaders, Dan, to the A&E after he fell awkwardly playing football. I wish I had a fiver for every time I'd ended up taking someone to casualty from a youth club. Saturday I spent in Sheffield attending the CPAS training day for their youth version of the Growing Leaders course. My enjoyment of the day was interrupted by carelessly leaving my mobile in the taxi from the station. After much sweating and annoyance, a very kind taxi driver reunited me and my Nokia for which I was very grateful. The day itself was useful and the course is something I'd like to look into for 9-12 months time when I try and align young people with specific ministries within the church. No point growing leaders unless you're providing arenas to lead in.

On Sunday we had three baptisms at church with some fantastic testimonies. We had family visiting this weekend so it was good to be able to spend much of Sunday with them over a lovely meal and just chilling and chatting.

The weekend had its share of sadness too as we learned of the tragic death, as the result of a car crash, of my cousin James. He was just 44 and leaves a widow, Rachel and two teenage daughters, Lois and Ruth. Much prayer needed for this precious family.


ON MY TO-DO LIST THIS WEEK:


Youth team meeting tonight (always a time of encouragement). Tomorrow I have an appointment at the hospital about one of those annoying little skin tags which attach themselves to us with such tenacity! I have one on my eyelid which is becoming a bit of an irritation. On Wednesday I'm involved in our church forum, reporting on the findings of the church questionnaire and also presenting a bit of autobiography as the church considers the elders recommendation of me as an elder. Scary stuff!

Towards the end of the week I'm looking forward to meeting and spending time with Claire Hoernig from Operation Mobilisation who will be leading our missions trip to Romania next month.

Finally we have a team night on Saturday for those young people going to Keswick in the summer. (putting up tents and taking them down again!)


BOOK(S) I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF:

Out of necessity for Saturday's course I read 'Ready to Lead' by Ruth Hassall. Very clear and a useful tool for any youth pastor aspiring to develop the next generation of leaders.


TV HIGHLIGHT OF THE WEEK:

Last night, with no church involvement, i indulged myself by watching some of the Glastonbury festival. Springsteen was very watchable as usual, but I felt Blur stole the show with an awesome performance of their greatest hits catalogue.


WHAT SONG IS THE IPOD SHUFFLE PLAYING AS I TYPE THIS:

"Down the Dip" by Aztec Camera from the album High Land, Hard Rain



NEXT TRIP:

The one I've been looking forward to most. Next Wednesday, along with my stepson Sam and my best mate Alasdair, I'm off to the San Siro, Milan to see U2 in concert. Can't wait!


HOW I'M FEELING ABOUT THE WEEK:


Lots to do. No two days the same. Brilliant. Thank you God. I love my job.

No comments: