Monday 1 June 2009

It's Monday again


THE WEEKEND THAT WAS:

Saturday we had an early morning elders breakfast and prayer time. These are valuable connection times and it's always good to start a day with prayer. Then I spent the morning looking for t-shirts for summer. The sun has been baking hot these last few days and it's encouraged me to consider that I may benefit from some new summer gear. Especially as I'll be visiting some rather hot places during the next few months. (more of that another time)

Sunday was a busy day in the life of the church. We gathered early for a Pentecost Sunday morning communion service. Then we had the regular service and I did some teaching with the teens on 'The Pharisee and the Tax Collector'. It was a good session with lots of participation as we considered what modern Pharisees look like and how we can all be guilty of the sin of pride. Then there was a families' picnic at the clifftop at Seaham. It was scorching and everyone enjoyed a beautiful afternoon. Then back for the youth service where I was leading and teaching on having 'A Servants' Heart.' During communion I encouraged people to put things right with others before taking the bread and it was great to see some forgiveness being demonstrated. That's what it's all about after all!

ON MY TO-DO LIST THIS WEEK:

I'm out every night this week except Thursday. Various meetings and pastoral visits lined up. Thursday will be a nice day off with my 7 year old daughter. Her school is being used as a polling station for the European elections so she's planning that we go for a Tesco's breakfast followed by a trip to the cinema. We'll see!

Workwise, I have a bitty week with some time away on Wednesday with 4 other pastors for reflection, spiritual nurture and mutual support. And some nice food!

I am teaching Sunday morning and evening with the youth.


PROCRASTINATING ABOUT:

I need to contact the register general's office in Scotland about getting all the paperwork in order for officiating at my niece Katy's wedding in October. This will be my first wedding so it's unchartered territory.


BOOK(S) I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF:

I haven't made much progress on the reading front these last few days.


TV HIGHLIGHT OF THE WEEK:

There was a marvellous documentary on BBC last week about sufferers of Tourette's syndrome. It was funny and sad in equal measure and I was impressed by all the people featured and how articulate they were about expressing their feelings about their 'tics' and how they have no control over them. Really enlightening and a fascinating insight to a most disturbing neurological condition.


WHAT SONG IS THE IPOD SHUFFLE PLAYING AS I TYPE THIS:

"Smile Again" by Kirk Franklin


NEXT TRIP:

To Shepherd's Dene on Wednesday for our retreat day


HOW I'M FEELING ABOUT THE WEEK:

Pretty good. This is the last week, I think, before the real busy season that I've designed for myself hits the lift-off phase. After this week, I am going to be doing a fair bit of travelling around the country and further afield. So I need to be quite intentional about being organised and get lots of things boxed off so I don't hit the panic button. I also have to visit the doctor this week and get some injections for some foreign travel. The injections themselves have never troubled me; I just hope I don't have any side-effects.


No comments: